1. Have a goal. Achieve a certain weight or train for a 5K, 10K, 1/2 or full marathon. This will help you work towards your goal. Here's a list of marathons coming up in Vancouver this year that I know of:
For a list of all the running events throughout BC this year click the following link: Run Events in BC for 2011
2. Have a running buddy or buddies. The more the better and merrier! The buddy system works best. In case someone can't make the run, you'll always have a back up! Keep in contact with each other constantly via email, texting, phone to help wake each other up for early morning runs, ensure the run is still scheduled and keep you motivated! Talking to your buddies while running also keeps your mind off the pain or the length of the run! Need to find some dedicated running buddies? Join the Running Room free group drop-in runs. They are usually scheduled 8:30am Sunday & 6:30pm Wednesday. The groups vary from walking to 5K to full marathon training runs groups. Running Room Run Club Locations.
3. Have the right gear. Here's my gear list that works for me for all types of weather. So no excuses for not running in the rain or snow! We live in Vancouver and we might as well make the best of it and don't let the weather ever get you down!
- Quality and comfortable running shoes
- Gloves to keep your hands warm for those chilly days
- Sports watch to time your runs and walks ie 10 & 1 (10 minutes of running & 1 minute of walking)
- Cap - to keep the rain/sun away from your face/head
- Beanie dry fit cap - keep your head and ears warm and dry during the colder weather
- Dry fit top, jacket, pants, shorts - dry fit material helps keep your body dry & warm from the rain and your sweat